You know the drill to beat your competition!
There are THOUSANDS of speakers with the same core purpose: motivate, educate, and/or inspire.
You already have the passion and commitment to make a difference but, one question not only needs answering but, begs for a solution.
How do you separate yourself from all the other leaders in your field?
Simple: Put an innovative spin on the ordinary. All great speakers know that this is the combination of their personal story, message, and HOW they present it.
In the world of copywriting and branding, this is the secret to making your platform captivating, memorable, and hashtag-worthy.
Below are some simple, actionable steps to transform your spin from ordinary to extraordinary.
How to Separate Yourself to Beat Your Competition?
Let’s zoom in and figure out if your platform is as dynamic and original as you are.
Here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- Is the presentation of your message original? (i.e. if you Googled your catchy phrases, are they already inscribed in a coffee table book?)
- Do you have a single sentence that your audience, subscribers, and fans remember you by? (Do you leave people wanting more?)
- Are YOU excited to pitch you? (If you were an Event Planner, would you book you?)
If you said NO to any of these questions, then you are at a really great point to reflect on your speaking platform and make the necessary changes to elevate it.
- Drop all catchy phrases, talking points, and social media posts that are circling the internet ad nauseum. You are better than that. Your message is stronger than that.
- Brainstorm on what you REALLY want people to take away when they hear you or read your Twitter feed.
- Go back to the time when you couldn’t wait to get on stage and were eager to speak. What lit the fire under you? Write down those thoughts and pitch that to yourself. That will help you a lot to beat your competition easily.
Now that you are clearer on what needs to be improved, here is my personal copywriting technique that you can apply.
Let’s start with a simple catchphrase that can be used in an Elevator Pitch, beginning of a keynote, or as a meme on Instagram.
OLD SPIN: “Celebrate the small steps to success.”
This phrase is uber familiar but, is relevant to the message and story of the speaker. Here’s how to up the ante of the copy.
- Separate the subject (success) and animate it, give it life, and a persona.
- Figure out what feeling or action you are trying to leave your audience with? (i.e. empowered, driven, etc.)
- Create a second statement that promotes this.
“Success deserves its own birthday cake: the first candle should be lit the moment you start.”
* Client, Dorothy Erlanger
This technique works wonders and can be used during creative brainstorming sessions for a myriad of topics and platforms.
REMEMBER: If you take the time to sift through your message and pan for gold, your message will become a gift to your audience and part of a legacy you will be proud of.
It’s Your Passion. Your Brand. Define it with Excellence.
Take your Speaking Career to the NEXT LEVE and Schedule your FREE Brand Critique:
Please forward your website link and/or promotional copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking forward to assisting you with your career success!
You might also like: